Last updated: Jan-16-2023
Cloudinary's Digital Asset Management (DAM) solution enables you and your creative and marketing teams to collaborate throughout all steps of your digital asset management workflow. From uploading photographers' photos and videos, to tagging and sharing them, performing sophisticated searches to find just the right assets for a particular new design or campaign, and up to the point that final assets are selected and ready to be delivered in your website or app by your developers. Your developers then use Cloudinary's media management API to programmatically transform and deliver your media, automatically optimized for quick and responsive delivery to your customers.
- The DAM user guide provides comprehensive explanations of all DAM features.
- If you have a Cloudinary Master admin or Admin user role, it may be your responsibility to define the way the DAM will be used in your organization. The DAM administrator guide provides detailed information about a variety of DAM-related administration activities that you can perform.
We also invite you to check out our DAM video tutorials to learn more about getting started with Cloudinary DAM and the features it offers.
You can use the the web-based Cloudinary Console to administer your Cloudinary account and product environments.
Try it now: If your Console is still using the previous interface and you want to try out the new navigation experience now, you can activate it from the Account page in your Console Settings.
A product environment (previously known as a sub-account) is an entity within your account that includes an asset repository, some product environment-specific settings, and other elements that are stored in your product environment and help you manage it, such as upload presets, named transformations, and more.
A product environment can represent a production or staging environment, different organizations, products, or geographic sites that you want to manage separately within a single Cloudinary account.
This section describes the options available for the Digital Asset Management product. For details on working with Programmable Media, see the Programmable Media Service overview.
The following options are available from the Console Options sidebar, located at the far left of the Console:
|Add-ons||Manage your add-ons and upgrade add-on plans. Cloudinary add-ons provide additional functionality such as auto-tagging, automated asset moderation, anti-malware protection, AI, deep-learning and other analysis algorithms, face detection or recognition, and a variety of special transformation capabilities.
Nearly all add-ons offer a free tier that you can try regardless of your plan. For details on all available add-ons, see Cloudinary Add-ons.
|Add new user||Add new users to your account.|
|Help||Access a variety of resources to learn more about working with Cloudinary including documentation, support request form, training courses and more.|
|Settings||Manage your personal profile, account-level settings, and product environment-level settings. These settings allow you to control and tweak almost every aspect of your asset pipeline behavior.|
|Profile||Update your personal information and preferences.|
When the Digital Asset Management product is selected, the following options may be available from the Product Navigation menu, depending on your user role.
While DAM administrators have access to all or most of the options, Media Library users are only able to to access the Media Library and, depending on their user permissions, the Moderation page.
|Getting Started||Provides onboarding content for DAM users, including quick videos to help you upload, share, and transform your assets, as well as introductory information about other Cloudinary features and resources.|
|Media Library||A UI for easily browsing and searching through your existing assets, drag & drop upload, and much more. For details, see Media Library features and the DAM user guide.|
|Moderation||Manually review any asset uploaded and marked for manual or automatic moderation. If an asset is marked for several kinds of moderations, you can view its moderation history. For more information, see Asset moderation.|
|Portals||Generate and manage media portals for publishing assets in the form of user-friendly and responsive web pages. For more information, see Media portals (Beta).|
|App Marketplace||A marketplace for selecting apps to extend your Media Library's core functionality. For more information, see Apps for DAM.|
|Structured Metadata||Create and manage a wide variety of structured metadata fields for your product environment. You can set a variety of options, including default values, mandatory fields, and conditional rules that dictate when a field or field value will be available. For more information, see Structured metadata.|
|Preferences||Enables you to control the behavior and/or appearance of the Media Library, such as determining the way custom metadata is displayed and maintained or what is included in the results when you run an advanced search. For more information, see Media Library preferences.|
|Transformations||Provides various options for generating and managing transformations, including the transformation builder. You can also create and manage transformation presets, which allow users to generate asset variations for preview and/or download at the click of a button. For details, see Named transformations|
|Product environment switcher||Enables you to switch between the product environments or, depending on your role, create a new one.
Note: Free accounts support only one product environment.
The Media Library provides you access to all your digital assets and is the main touch point into the Cloudinary DAM solution. All the features mentioned here are described in depth in the DAM user guide.
From the Media Library you can:
- Switch between different Media Library views using the tabs at the top of the Media Library.
- Upload new images, videos, audio, or other files
- Create and navigate through folders or share folders with user groups
- Create and browse collections or share collections with user groups or external parties.
- Perform advanced searches
- Select multiple assets to perform bulk operations including delete, add/edit tags, move, download, or review moderated assets.
- Select a single asset to view or update basic asset details, view or activate advanced asset analysis operations, or to generate transformations for that asset.
From the Media Library, you'll be able to switch between 4 common views using the Media Library Tabs:
- Assets: Provides a flat display of all assets sorted by one of the selected sort options and enables Advanced Search of assets via a large variety of filters.
- Folders: Displays assets within their folder structure. Selecting this tab navigates you to the root folder.
- Collections: Displays assets within their respective collections.
- Recently Uploaded: Displays assets that were recently uploaded.
The Cloudinary Media Library and other areas of the Console UI are designed to work with the latest web browsers. If you use an outdated browser, some DAM or Console features may not be available or may not work as expected. Additionally, using a modern browser can help keep your computer and data safer.
Therefore, we recommend that you use one of the following supported browsers:
|Chrome||Download||Update installed version|
|Firefox||Download||Update installed version|
|Safari*||Download||Update installed version|
|Edge||Download||(updates available from within the browser)|
- Internet Explorer: To enable us to take advantage of modern web functionality and to provide the best user experience, the Cloudinary Media Library and other areas of the Console UI can no longer be used from the Internet Explorer web browser.
- Safari: The Safari browser may not work well when accessing the Media Library from an external platform. Use one of the other recommended browsers listed above when working with Cloudinary via these platform integrations.
Administrative activities include: